One of the questions that comes up often is how to name characters in a story.
There are many places you can go to find character names, but have you thought of these?
- Baby Name Books – it can be tempting to just jump online and search through the databases there, however if you’re really stuck, then having a baby name book is handy. You can thumb through the pages, or even close your eyes, open the book and put your finger on a page to see what name comes up. Sometimes this can be more fun than searching an online database.
- Credits of Movies & TV Shows – it can be tempting to ignore the credits of shows you may watch, or just skip over them. Next time, look through the names and jot down any that look interesting. You never know when they’ll come in handy.
- Social Media – if you’re on any social media platform, you can scroll through and see the names of people. You may know some of these people, but there may also be names you don’t recognise. Write down any names that look interesting.
- Merge some names – pick two names at random and see what happens when you take the first letters of one name and the last letters of another name. You could come up with some interesting combinations, but it could also be the name of someone’s new favourite character.
- Cemetery Walk – if you have a cemetery near you, especially with older grave stones, go for a walk and take of note of interesting and unusual names. Even if some of the names are out of date, you could merge some to create something new, and they make fantastic names for a fantasy universe.
These are just a few ways to find names for your characters. If you keep a notebook handy, you can record any interesting names you come across so they are ready for the day you are looking for the perfect name for one of your characters.